For the football players, it should be known that playing the game without a helmet can be violent. The helmet plays an important role. When planning to buy it for the first time, it can be daunting enough to get hands-on the best football helmet brand. To avoid any major blow to your head while playing and avid scary injuries, it is better to use a football helmet.
With plenty of options available, try to get the right one for the right price. Below is a rundown of some top-notch products that shall help you grasp better insight into the latest features to check when buying a top-quality football helmet. Only if the brand product meets your requirement, you can buy it.
So, Here is Our Choice On Best Football Helmet
1. Riddell SpeedFlex Adult Football Helmet – Best Overall
The Riddell SpeedFlex Adult Football Helmet is among the best football helmets you can buy online. When planning to invest for the best quality football helmet with facemask, the above said one could be a suitable option. With comfortable padding inside the helmet, you can wear it for a long time without any problem. Even the pads are replaceable and you can make certain changes when you need to fix it. For the skilled players, this is the one that will be worthy of the investment. The technical features help the players play safe with this helmet.
- Lightweight helmet making it easy to wear for long
- Comes with replaceable inside pads
- Easy and comfortable to use
- Comes installed with professional safeguard features
- Fitting in the right size may be difficult
- The face mask does not fit on the helmet well
2. Schutt Adult Vengeance Z10 – Best In lightweight
Are you looking for a lightweight helmet for football? Well, the above said product is the suitable option made from titanium. With inflatable airline system, it gives utmost protection to the side and back of your head. Even the back design of the helmet is a flexible one and it can resistant any hard hit while playing. Some good quality non-inflatable crown pads are fixed inside the helmet making it suitable to keep your head safe while playing.
- Comes with extra vent holes near the ear
- The internal padding is comfortable
- Easy to repair whenever it need to be fixed
- Do not have pump cushion inside the helmet
- May not get a variety of color options to choose from
- A larger size is often out of stock
3. Riddell Speed Youth Football Helmet – Best for Youth Players
The above-said helmet comes with suitable protection so that it can reduce the forces from all the sides. The buttons present in the internal part of the helmet can be found easily. Also, it is easily replaceable Due to the latest technology features installed in the helmet it reduces the chances of the collision inside the helmet. The padding comes with quality item making it comfortable for the player to wear the helmet for a long time. This helmet is the best recommendation for those who are looking for the best football helmet for youth.
- Comfortable and easy to wear for long
- Quality item with layered-protection
- Less choice is available for facemask of helmet
- The wrong fit of helmet fails to give suitable comfort
4. F7 Schutt Adult Football Helmet – Best High-End
If you are looking for the most preferred professional version of a football helmet, the above said F7 Schutt Adult Football Helmet is the suitable option to use. It comes with titanium facemask that makes it worthy of the investment. Also, this is a durable helmet. Even after wearing the helmet for long, it will fit comfortably on your head. In addition, it has good rotational forces making it perfect to use it while playing. The inside of the helmet comes with good impact absorption coupled with a unique line of designed faceguard. Therefore, the three-dimensional system makes it easily among the preferred ones by the professionals.
- Lightweight helmet and it can be used for long
- Comes with the latest professional features
- Slightly smaller is size compared to other helmets
- Color options for this model of the helmet are limited
5. Schutt Sports Varsity AiR XP Pro VTD
Designed with excellent cushioning, it is suitable for use across different temperatures. Irrespective of the temperature, players can wear it comfortably for long. The curves of the helmet are lightweight making it easy to wear. In addition, it has SUREFIT airliners with hard chinstrap offering suitable protection to the player when playing. Even the inter-link jaw pads are perfectly fitted in the helmet so that the player can use it with convenience.
- Latest designing makes it easy to wear the helmet
- Made from professional material offering durability
- The helmet offers a good peripheral vision
- Comes with a durable layer system making it comfortable
- Faceguard may not be available with the product
- Color may not last for long
6. Schutt Sports Varsity Vengeance Pro Football Helmet
To get a lightweight helmet, the above said football helmet can be considered as a suitable purchase. It has a single-layer latest TPU that makes it comfortable for the players to wear it. In addition, the crown pad fitting system in the helmet along with interchangeable pads makes the item a durable one. If players are looking for a one with smaller shells and utmost comfort along with the latest features designed in it, the above said the product would be the best buy.
- Offers utmost comfort and fitting
- Comes with great customization options
- Color of the helmet may fade away
- Faceguard may not be available with the product
- Inside lining seems to be uncomfortable at times
7. Schutt Sports Youth AiR Standard V Football Helmet
To get a helmet that comes with suitable fitting, the above said one is the perfect option. It boosts the performance of players and fits on a wide range of age groups of players. Facemask comes attached with the helmet coupled with a quality EVA foam liner system inside the helmet. It gives comfort to the player even when he has to wear it for long time. Even the soft cup chin is an adjustable one.
- Looks like a traditional helmet made from EPP and EVA quality foam
- Easy to use a facemask and it is a see-through one
- Lightweight helmet and easy to hold
- Padding is thin and hurts the user
- Size may be perfect resulting in fitting problems
8. Schutt Sports Vengeance A3 Youth Football Helmet
The mentioned helmet comes with a non-inflatable lining system with TPU on its outer part. This gives a pillow-like feeling to the player from the inner side of the helmet. It does not come with a facemask. As this is a low profile one, it is not that heavy on its weight. It comes with a combination of single and double layer TPU making it comfortable to wear it for long. The chinstrap is an adjustable one.
- Interlinked jaw pads offer secured fit of the helmet
- It has non-inflatable liners inside the helmet making it suitable to wear for long
- Chinstrap does not fit properly
- Helmet size does not fit perfect
9. Xenith Youth X2E+ Football Helmet
Are you in search of a quality helmet that offers suitable protection? Well, the above said product is a quality one which gives the required protection. Interestingly, the helmet is designed in such a way that it is a lightweight one. This is due to its ABS plastic shell covering. In addition, the shock suspension system help reduces the chances of rotational movement of the helmet while playing. Incorporated with the best shock-absorbing technology, it is less responsive to linear impacts. This helmet offers customized fitting due to the silicon band that fits perfectly on your head. Even the chinstrap comes with the adjustable option so that the player can comfortably wear it.
- Helmet offers excellent protection to player’s head
- It is made from good material making it a durable one
- Fits perfectly without rotating on your head
- Chinstrap cannot be adjusted properly at times
- The color of the helmet tends to fade away
10. Riddell Dallas Cowboys Football Helmet
For the best purchase, it is better that you invest in the above-said helmet. It is worthy of the payment you make as the helmet is going to go a long way. Other than being a durable helmet, it offers utmost comfort even if player has to wear it for time. This is an adult-sized helmet. Therefore, both the size and the quality of the helmet are worth appreciating. It is installed with ABS plastic shell covering giving it protection. Even the molded jaw pads along with the quality chin strap fits perfectly.
- Incorporated with professional safeguards
- Offers top-notch safety features even when wearing the helmet
- Fits perfectly on your head
- Comes with adjustable chin strap
- Customization takes time to get delivered
- Availability of les variety of masks
11. Schutt Sports Vengeance A3+ Youth Football Helmet
For youths, this football helmet is the perfect option. Even if you are unable to get the right measurement of head when buying the helmet, the air pads are fitted in such a way that it allows customized fitting of the helmet. Moreover, if you have tight budget, this is the one that will be a suitable purchase. Even the inflatable lining helps to get customized fit of the helmet. In addition to this, the air-adjustable bladders help getting a better fit for the helmet.
- Easy adjustability of the helmet helps get better fitting
- The chin strap can be adjusted suitably
- The helmet is comfortable to wear for a long time
- Facemask is not included with the helmet
- The helmet may have fitting issues
12. Schutt Vengeance Pro Adult Football Helmet
Do you wish to get a helmet from the quality brand? Well, with plenty of options available in the market, the above-said helmet from Schutt can be a perfect pick. With single layer of TPU lining, it helps to reduce the overall weight of the helmet. This, in turn, makes it easy for the player to comfortably wear the helmet for a long time. Even with better impact absorption, you can comfortably wear the helmet. For amazing protection and budget-friendly investment, this product would be the perfect buy.
- Comes with comfortable Surefit Air Liner coupled with pillow-like feeling when wearing the helmet for long
- Single-layer of TPU makes the helmet lightweight
- It helps to adjust the chinstrap better
- Customization fails to give suitable helmet fitting
- Variety masks may not be available
13. Schutt Sports Vengeance A3+ Youth Football Helmet without Facemask
This above said Schutt helmet comes without a facemask. Capable of offering a better layer of protection as it is incorporated with TPU cushioning. This makes it suitable to wear the helmet with ease irrespective of the temperature. Make sure that the design of the helmet is a suitable one as it sits above the brow. Even its SUREFIT lining system contributes to the perfect fitting of the helmet. It prevents any rotational movement of the helmet when playing is running while playing. Another interesting feature is that the link jaw pads reattached in an excellent way with the helmet making the pads fit comfortably when the player is wearing it. So, for a budget-friendly purchase, this is the perfect one.
- Air pads help adjust helmet better
- Helmet fits youth player
- Adjustable bladders makes it easy to wear it
- Facemask is not included with the helmet
- Helmet fitting is not perfect
14. Riddell SpeedFlex Adult Football Helmet with Facemask
The Riddell SpeedFlex helmet comes with a facemask and it can be considered among the best buy. It comes with a durable shell made from polycarbonate material. Even to reduce the side force impacts, Patented Side Impact Protection or PISP is incorporated in the helmet. Together with this, the flex system of the helmet helps reduce the side impacts keeping it comfortable for the player to wear the helmet for a longer time. The liner system fixed in the helmet makes it feel better when wearing the helmet irrespective of the weather.
- It is easy to wear the helmet
- The chin straps can be adjusted easily
- The inner padding makes it comfortable to wear the helmet for long
- Helmet fitting can be disappointing
- Color of helmet tends to fade away
15. Schutt Sports Varsity Vengeance Pro Football Helmet
Are you looking for a pocket-friendly football helmet? Do you wish to buy the facemask along with the helmet? If you can manage to buy the facemask separately from online, make sure that it is compatible with the helmet. Therefore, the above-said product can be considered as the safest buy that is incorporated with some of the best professional features.
- The helmet is made from good quality items
- The durable helmet even when used daily
- Made from low profile shell making it a lightweight one
- Single TPU layer offers protection
- The inner lining system of the helmet is not comfortable
- Fitting of the helmet is not perfect
- The padding quality fails to prevent injuries
Ultimate buying guide for the best football helmet
Buying the right football helmet plays an important role in player protection. All helmets are prepared as per the standards of the operating committee and the athlete’s requirements. Therefore, some important points should be considered when buying the helmet.
The shell of a helmet – The outer part of the helmet is known as a shell that acts as a barrier and gives protection to the inner part. Try to get a helmet with durable construction. It is made from polycarbonate alloy with proper ventilation that helps in better heat management. With a suitable air system, the helmet should fit perfectly on your head.
Check to pad of the helmet – For incorporating better cushioning inside the helmet, different types of padding are used. The padding system can be inflatable or pre-sized. Depending on your requirements, you can opt for thicker or thinner pads. Try to get a well-fitted helmet that shall stay in place while playing.
Also, check that there is no space in between helmet and temple of head. This shall help the helmet to stay fitted on your head. In the helmet, you have to check for two types of foams such as Vinyl nitrile foam and thermoplastic urethane foam or TPU foam. This foam is perfect for better shock absorption even when players are wearing the helmet for prolonged period. It offers comfort and protection to the athlete. With break-in period of the vinyl nitrile foam, the padding does not sit tightly on your head.
Choosing the right facemask – Facemask comes with or without the helmet. The helmet is made from carbon steel material making the helmet yet a lightweight one. Even if you are buying facemask separately, it should fit with the helmet. Some variety of facemask designs is available for better protection. The variety of designs is mentioned below.
- Eyeglass along with oral protection – Suitable for players experiencing hard contact.
- Nose, jaw and oral protection – Required for player encountering constant hard-hitting.
- Oral protection – For clear vision on the field, defensive backs and better receivers, this facemask is required.
- Jaw and oral protection – For better hitting and blocking, facemask with oral and jaw protection is necessary. This is even useful for running properly.
- Oral and nose protection – This is perfect for receivers so that they can have a clear vision of the field.
However, the feature of the facemask you take may differ depending on the brand you choose to pick.
Picking right helmet accessories – Chin strap is an important helmet accessory that is available both in hard and soft style. No space should be left between the helmet and strap offering securing fit to the player. The mouth guard protects teeth and mouth from injury while playing roughly.
The facemask should have visors and eye shields that are fitted without obstructing vision. These are extra layer of protection for your eyes. The shields given should be compatible with the facemask. Before using the facemask, check it with your coach to ensure it is the perfect one or not.
Checking whether the football helmet fits properly
Yes, this is necessary to check whether the football helmet fits perfectly or not. Some considerations can help to fit the helmet suitably.
Measure the size of your head
- It is necessary to take accurate measurements of head
- Take the measurement one inch above your eyebrow to get an accurate measurement to know where the helmet will rest.
- Check circumference before buying the helmet
However, after taking the accurate measurement, you can go by the size chart of the product as given by the online store.
Q) Is there any right age to upgrade to adult helmet?
Ans – No, there is no such definite age from which you can start using adult helmet. But when players in their middle school level belonging to the age of 12 to 14 years, it is better to look for an adult-level helmet. There are some differences between an adult and youth football other than difference in sizes.
- Adult football helmet – This helmet is made from lightweight and durable polycarbonate item that is capable of giving maximum support to the player. The adult helmet is designed in such way that it gives suitable protection with impacted force on your head during helmet-to-helmet contact.
- Youth football helmet – This helmet is made from ABS plastic that is durable and lightweight one. The design is perfect to withstand any kind of force while playing.
Important features to check in a new football helmet
Along with the features mentioned above, the types of material used in a helmet can vary. Here, it is better to go by the brands mentioned above to get quality helmet making it worthy of the investment. Also, the latest brands come with innovative technologies that are sure to offer perfect safety, comfort and suitable performance more than the standard quality of the helmets.
- Having quality TPU cushioning – The TPU cushioning is considered the best among the best padding technologies that are mostly used by famous brands. It is considered to be one of the useful safety features that are used in football helmets for the safety of the players. Even for anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and indestructible problems, the TPU is able to get hold the problems better. As the cushioning does not compress the foam, it is comfortable to wear the helmet for long without any such difficulty. Players can experience comfort wearing irrespective of the weather conditions.
- The suitable stabilization system of a helmet – With proper stabilization system of the helmet, it will remain in place offering proper fitness. It shall further limit the chances of any head injury when it comes in contact with other helmets while playing. To minimize the impact, it is necessary that the helmet fits in place. Moreover, for the fit of the helmet, proper internal and external jaw stabilizers are used that make the fit of the helmet better-giving confidence to players when running during the game. This technology is found when you wish to get helmets from the above-mentioned quality brands.
- Airliner system of the helmet – A quality airliner system is found when you wish to buy helmets of quality brands. The liners are available in different designs and it shall vary depending on the brand you wish to pick. In addition to this, you will find inflatable air pockets fitted on the liners and these are inflated with liners. This helps to fill in the extra space in between the player’s head, padding and the shell of the helmet. Therefore, to get a better fitting, you should check the airliner system of the helmet. Airliners can be customized for the perfect of your helmet.
Q) How the inflatable jaw pads work in the helmet?
Ans – This works similar to the airliners as the pads are used to fill in with air and create a secured area surrounding the mandible area. In addition, this also prevents the helmet from moving or rotating when the player is playing.
Things to follow after purchasing the football helmet
- Put on the helmet to check the fittings
- If a helmet has inflatable pads, you have to pump air in the given areas
- You have to pump air into the helmet in the designated areas from all the sides
- Make sure that helmet sits 1 inch above your eyebrow with perfect fitting
- To make the helmet properly on the upper part of your head, you have to interlock your fingers
- With proper fitting, you can feel pressure on your crown and not on the brow
- No space should be left between jaw and helmet and your temple and helmet
- After wearing the helmet, you can try to move it from one place to another by shifting and twisting it.
Therefore, if you are able to move the best football helmet on all sides with ease, you have got the right one.